Tuesday, 15 April 2014

What an amazing day!

It's taken me a while to get around to writing this post as I still can't believe it's real ... I RAN A MARATHON!

I finished in 5 hours, 49 mins and 2 seconds ... okay, so not the quickest of times, but all I was aiming to do was finish. And for someone who went from level-zero fitness to completing a marathon in 7 months, I don't think that's bad! I am so proud of myself just for finishing, and it gives me something to work on if I ever do another!

The atmosphere on the day was immense! Despite potential difficulties in pronouncing my name, there wasn't a moment on the course where there wasn't someone cheering me on - either a friend, family member, or complete stranger! I got shouts of 'Come on Chiara, you're beautiful' and 'You're doing amazing, Chiara, keep going' - and when you hear those, you have no choice but to keep on running!

There were so many bands playing music along the route which really spurred me along. The children watching were all holding their hands out for high-fives and giving out sweets which was adorable! I also thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the costumes, and admire those runners even more ... I could never have run the marathon with a fridge on my back, in a gorilla suit or singing karaoke the whole time!

I want to say a high thank you to everyone who came to cheer me on:
Mum, Dad and Yolanda
Peter and Sue Smyth
Ellie Allford
Hannah Cordrey and Tom Metcalfe
Katherine Archer and Simon Lumb
Helen Barton
Lata Nobes
Caroline, Tash and Georgia Nokes (even if I didn't see you!)
... you're all amazing!

I got to the half way point fairly quickly, in about 2 hours and 20 minutes. In hindsight, I probably set out a little too quickly as I found the second half incredibly difficult. Just before mile 16, I hit the wall and it was horrible. I felt really sick and I was so dizzy I couldn't see anything. I had to sit down with the St. John's Ambulance for 5-10 mins, which really was the best thing I could have done. When I headed off again, I was still struggling but felt a lot better. What really helped me was the kind supporters handing out half bananas and orange segments ... you saved me so thank you!

It was a beautiful day, and the temperatures reached around 18 degrees celcius ... lovely for the supporters, but it threw all the runners as we had no idea how much liquid to take on, plus I sunburnt!

The sights of London were amazing, particularly running across Tower Bridge ... what an experience!

My only criticism of the day was the hugely long walk from the finish line to the meet and greet area. I thought I was going to collapse! I did finally make it to see everyone and collapsed into their arms!

In the evening, a group of us went to the pub to celebrate. It was the perfect end to the day!

The crowds in Pen 9 at the start line!


When we finally got to the start line, at 10:22am!


During the first half ...


I am in there somewhere!


Running through Canary Wharf ...


My legs wouldn't hold me any more but I had just enough energy to hold up my medal at the end!


Eventually someone made me stand up!


With my amazing Mum and sisters and incredible banner which helped me spot them amongst the crowds!


My celebratory gifts, thanks to the Moons and to George


No comments:

Post a Comment